Craft Brew Alliance is the seventh largest craft brewing company in the U.S., brewing, branding and bringing to market national brands such as Kona Brewing Company and regional pioneers such as Widmer Brothers Brewing and Redhook Brewery. CBA launched a company-wide initiative in 2016 to bring world class craft standards to all aspects of brewing operations, from safety, quality and innovation to sustainability. As part of their world class craft initiative, they set a target of reducing GHG emissions by 10% in 3 years. They aim to accomplish that by optimizing renewable energy, streamlining their brewing footprint, and making small but impactful energy-saving changes. They implemented Building Insights to analyze brewery production data and energy data together, so they could track progress on and help identify efficiency opportunities to reach their goals.
By leveraging our real-time meters, Building Insights enables our breweries to spend time on targeting improvements, rather than manipulating data. We find value in the ability to create dashboards, customized metrics, and analyze costs, usage, and emissions, all in one platform.
— Julia Person, Sustainability Manager
- Analyzing key performance indicators to show energy, water, and CO2 emissions intensity per brewery outputs
- Streamlined reporting of brewery efficiency to all stakeholders
- Visibility into solar and cogeneration production and progress towards goals
- Saved 2.14 million kilowatt hours across portfolio from shifting production to efficient facilities, increasing renewable energy output, and implementing efficiency measures
- Integrated brewery production data (barrels of beer produced) with Building Insights to create KPIs
- Weekly dashboard reviews of renewable energy data ensure they are hitting their generation targets
- Organized “Treasure hunts” for brewery teams to identify and implement energy or water saving measures using Building Insights data
- Set up dashboards to track progress toward and report on utility usage goals